Public Consultation – inpatient mental health services
Inpatient mental health services consultation in south west London is now closed
The public consultation about the future location for mental health inpatient facilities for people in Kingston, Merton, Sutton, Richmond and Wandsworth and for a range of specialist mental health inpatient services serving a wider catchment area, closed on 21 December 2014. This consultation was led by Kingston Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) working with Merton, Sutton, Richmond and Wandsworth CCGs and NHS England, alongside South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust.
All of the information about the consultation is still available on the Kingston CCG website.
The aim of the initial proposals was to enhance the quality of clinical care and improve the experience for service users and carers, whilst bringing the Trust into line with current guidance and best practice.
During the consultation period, commissioners wrote to over 7,000 people, including staff, service users, family members, carers, voluntary groups, local councils, elected representatives and health and social care partners. We also placed adverts in local papers, set up a dedicated Twitter account, email address, phone line and web page. Finally, as well as the five main public events we hosted, commissioners also attended 74 meetings throughout the area and ran a webinar about the national specialised services.
283 people responded to the consultation survey; we received 76 letters and emails and 191 people attended our five main engagement events, as well as the hundreds of other people we talked to at the 74 meetings throughout the five boroughs.
A clear majority of people who responded strongly agreed with the need for change and the majority of respondents broadly agreed with our proposals for two centres of excellence at Springfield and Tolworth for the national and local services.
- The five CCGs and NHS England agreed the proposals at their Board meetings during February and March 2015.
- Our overall aim is to improve the inpatient mental health facilities, as currently some of these are over 150 years old.
- CCGs are planning an additional £20 million investment into community mental health services over the next five years.
- These proposals will mean £160 million of investment into two new hospitals for local people at Springfield University Hospital and Tolworth Hospital.
- The Joint Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee have supported our plans and we will work with them to address any areas that need more attention.
- We will now work with the mental health trust on the full business case and the plans for the new hospitals which won’t be fully operational until 2021.
Read the report to mental health commissioning bodies and to South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust here.
All of the archive information about the consultation is available on the Kingston CCG website.
If you require any further information or have any questions or comments about the consultation process, please contact:
Tel: 020 3513 6006
Follow us on Twitter @swlmhconsult